- Submit to a special issue of Sociological Problems: The team of the project “The Images of science in the digital world: between social networks and internet media” welcomes submissions to a special issue of the quarterly journal Sociological Problems, which is Indexed in ERIH PLUS. The project is a fundamental study that aims to justify a new interdisciplinary scientific field – the images of science in the digital public space – and to develop a multidimensional theoretical framework for its understanding. However, the issue of the journal does not limit to this specific sphere. Here is more about it: CALL FOR PAPERS
- “Skills2Capabilities” Project at the European Researchers’ Night 2023
On September 29, 2023, Svetlana Alexandrova from the Bulgarian Skills2Capabilities project team took part in the initiative „European Researchers’ Night 2023” (Sofia, Bulgaria). The aim of this event was to popularize science among the citizens; therefore, the programme covers various activities in schools, meetings of students and citizens with scientists in research institutes and universities, as well as events in public urban places. In such a central city location, the Largo of Sofia, was the place where Dr. Alexandrova introduced stakeholders to the objectives of Skills2Capabilities and the need to implement new approaches in education systems and policies to overcome mismatches in the demand and supply of skills in the labor market. The project was promoted through a leaflet and in the portfolio of the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology at Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. More information about the event: https://marie-sklodowska-curie-actions.ec.europa.eu/event/2023-european-researchers-night
- SKILLS2CAPABILITIES PROJECT AT THE 2023 HDCA CONFERENCE IN SOFIA
- Bulgarian team of the Skills2Capabilities project and project associates presented four papers and a poster at the HDCA Annual Conference “Vulnerability, human development and cooperative re-building in turbulent times”, September 11-13, 2023 in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Paper 1: Bridging the capability approach and the status model of recognition: Can macro-opportunity structures mitigate individual structural vulnerabilities regarding participation in higher education? by Pepka Boyadjieva and Petya Ilieva-Trichkova, IPS-BAS
- Paper 2: The importance of internet use for participation in adult education in Europe by Rumiana Stoilova and Petya Ilieva-Trichkova, IPS-BAS
- Paper 3: The vulnerability of spectral entrepreneurs: The case of Stolipinovo by Georgi Medarov, IPS-BAS
- Paper 4: Capabilities for home-based workers in Bulgaria by Petya Klimentova, IPS-BAS
- Poster: Vulnerability in times of a pandemic: Evidence from Bulgarians 50+ by Ralitsa Dimitrova, IPS-BAS
- A truly global event, the conference was hosted by the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” with more than 300 participants from 60 countries from Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, South and North America. On benalf of both the Organising and Programme Committees the conference was opened by Prof. Pepka Boyadjieva, member of the Skills2Capabilities. A special guest speaker at the opening ceremony was the Bulgarian writer Georgi Gospodinov, Booker International prize winner for 2023. A key-note speech was delivered by the eminent American philosopher Martha Nussbaum. The conference hosted 8 plenary sessions by notable keynote speakers, high-level panel discussions, and 80 parallel sessions. The format of the conference was hybrid, with mostly in-person, but also with online and hybrid sessions.More information about the conference is available here:2023 HDCA Conference – Sofia, Bulgaria | Human Development and Capability Association (hd-ca.org)
- Great honour Professor Pepka Boyadjieva and Associate Professor Petya Ilieva-Trichkova from the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences are the 2022 recipient of the Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education for their book: Adult Education as Empowerment: Re-imagining Lifelong Learning through the Capability Approach, Recognition Theory and Common Goods Perspective. Palgrave Macmillan. Adult Education as Empowerment | SpringerLink
The Cyril O. Houle Award was established in 1981 to honor the scholarship and memory of Cyril O. Houle, Professor of Adult Education at the University of Chicago. It is given annually by the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE).
This book was prepared as part of the work on the project “Dynamics of inequalities in participation in higher and adult education: A comparative social justice perspective” (JustEdu), funded by the Bulgarian National Science Fund within National Science Program VIHREN, contract number КП-06-ДВ-2/16.12.2019.
- COCOREADO evaluation of good practices on novel and fair food systems’ innovative initiatives was kicked-off with a case from Bulgaria: Between 1st and 3d of June @COCOREADO evaluation of good practices on novel and fair food systems’ innovative initiatives that enhance the position of the farmer, through reconnecting producers and consumers was kicked-off. The first case, evaluated by the IPS project partners, is from Borima village located in the Central-North region of Bulgaria. The aim of this initiative, created through pastoral farming in Natura 2000 area, is to offer directly to consumers high quality fresh milk and natural dairy products. The farmer, who started the initiative, found one common solution to solve two problems that he experienced: how to create high quality natural dairy products and how to increase his incomes and to avoid intermediaries. The solution he found is to stop selling fresh milk to intermediaries, to start producing dairy products itself and to control the whole process – from the cow in the pasture to the customer’s plate. Through cooperation with other farmers, local LAG and local restaurants he established various forms of short supply chains, including the establishment of farmer’s shops equipped with ATMs machines for fresh milk as well. The farmer has significantly increased his revenues from dairy products. This successful business model relies on the combination between the farmer’s control over the process of production and distribution and the cooperation with different local actors. The model not only attracted various and larger consumers groups, but empowered the position of the farmer in the food supply chain. It also improved the position of consumers as the link between them and the farmer became either direct or facilitated by other farmers and/ or restaurateurs.
In the coming months up to 15 novel and fair food systems’ innovative initiatives will be evaluated for their good practices to inspire farmers, consumers and other food systems related actors. Follow us here or visit @COCOREADO website to discover this practical knowledge from different regions in Europe.
- PhD student position: We are currently looking for a highly motivated and skilled PhD student to join a new research group at Institute of Philosophy and Sociology at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, working on the project “Dynamics of inequalities in participation in higher and adult education: A comparative social justice perspective”, funded by the National Science Fund to the Ministry of Education and Science of Bulgaria within the National Scientific Programme “VIHREN” – https://justedu2020.eu/. The position is for 12 months. Application deadline 17/03/2021, 16:00. Full details: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/614880
- CALL FOR PAPERS Regional conference ” Trust and Well-Being in the Balkans” Abstract submission deadline: 31 March 2021
- International Conference ‘Refugees – Fears, Understanding, Empathy’ Sofia, Bulgaria, 17 May 2021
- Institute of Mathematics and Informatics Bulgarian Academy of Sciences Department of Algebra and Logic Seminar of Algebra and Logic Joint Meeting with the Seminar of the Department of Logic and Its Applications of the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics of Sofia University and the Logic Seminar of the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of BAS: World Logic Day
- “The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Our Society” Online conference (Zoom), Friday, 20th November 2020
- Еxhibition “Duvarmuzei”, from 29th of September until 23th of October, at Goethe-Institut, Sofia.
- Prof. Michael Burawoy visited Bulgaria for the first time in 2013 for a series of four lectures: The Challenges to Global Sociology (at the Bulgarian Academy of Science); What is the Fate of Marxism after Communism? (at Social Center Haspel); Social Movements in a Neoliberal Age (at the New Bulgarian University) and Dilemmas to Public Sociology (at Sofia University).
At his first talk in Bulgaria, hosted by the Bulgarian Academy of Science’s Institute for the Study of Societies an Knowledge Prof. Burawoy was awarded with the ribbon of honor by Prof. Rumiana Stoilova, serving as the Institute’s director at the time.
- Apply for a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellowship At the Institute for the Study of Societies and Knowledge, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences